ECT Teacher Development in East London
The Early Career Teacher Programme
Register your ECTs and Mentors…
If you have new ECTs starting at school, your school needs to:
Schools new to the programme
If you are a completely NEW school to the programme – and you have not used the Ambition ECT programme before – you must contact: email@example.com so that we can register you as a new school prior to you completing the steps below.
New ECTs and Mentors
Register each ECT and Mentor on the DfE portal and keep it updated: https://manage-training-for-early-career-teachers.education.gov.uk/
- Portal Questions: If you have any questions you can email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ECT email addresses: If schools do not yet have work emails set up for their participants at the point of registration – an email address is a mandatory field – so you should add a personal email and edit it later.
- Step by Step guide on how to use this portal.
All schools are under a statutory duty to register their ECTs with an Appropriate Body before they start work in school.
- Schools STILL need to register with an appropriate body separately.
- Go to ECT Manager https://www.ectmanager.com/ and log into your chosen Appropriate Body.
- If you would like to use the Hub as your AB, please email: email@example.com
If you would like more information on registering your ECT with other Appropriate Body services, click here.
ECTs leaving or joining your school
- Make all necessary amendments to ECT Manager
- On the DfE portal:
If the old school want to process and ECT transfer-out ahead of time, or if the new school is not known:
- sign in to the DfE Portal
- click on the “Manage mentors and ECTs” button
- click on the participant’s name and the link at the bottom of their record under the heading “No longer training?”
- If you, as the new school, records the transfer, the old school doesn’t need to do anything – the transfer happens automatically.
- Shown in this demo video: DfE Manage training for early career teachers service walkthrough 3 – YouTube
You must email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have employed an ECT who has already completed terms of Induction elsewhere, as these ECTs needs to be slotted into existing Clinic and Conference groups at the right place in the ECT Programme.
Replace a Mentor
If you need to swap in a new Mentor – register them on the DfE portal if they are not already registered.
Ensure you pair the up with the ECT they will be mentoring on the DfE Portal – as this is what will pull through to My Ambition and Steplab.
Withdraw a Mentor?
You MUST inform us when you swap or withdraw a Mentor – fill in this form: Mentor Withdrawal Form
Change your school Induction Tutor?
First you MUST make his change on the DfE registration portal.
Get the consent of your Head Teacher and please to fill in this form: Induction Tutor Change Form
Checklist for when an ECT goes on Maternity Leave or Extended Leave:
- Email the Appropriate Body – email@example.com with an estimated return date and the AB will ‘Hold’ the ECT on ECT Manager for you.
- ‘Pause’ the ECT on the DfE Portal.
- ‘Pause’ the ECT on Steplab – please see guidance below.
- Notify the Appropriate Body when the ECT returns.
This is how to pause a participant on Steplab (Induction Tutors only)
- Click on the ‘Manage’ tab and then click ‘Manage staff’
- Select ‘Early Career Teacher’ next to the ECT’s name
- Click ‘Pause programme’ under ‘Quick actions’.
Questions about funding?